• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

Good Evening everbody, In conjunction with Peter Hodge (Hon. General Secetary) of the Normandy Veterans Association I am leading the appeal for support to raise funds to allow the British Veterans of Normandy to return to the Beaches in June later this year through englandfans, which is the Official Supports club for the English National team.

The following is a personal appeal letter that Peter has provided me with to highlight the appeal, so I hope nobody minds if I post a copy here, just in case any members are not aware of the need to raise funds.

Phil

TO ALL ENGLAND FANS. AN URGENT APPEAL.
Through a much appreciated rapport with England supporter. Phil Jennett, he has kindly suggested a direct appeal to all England Supporters to boost and possibly fully accomplish amost deserving need for Sponsorship and Funding. In June 2009,approximately 800 UK octogenarian veterans of THE NORMANDY VETERANS ASSOCIATION (NVA) would wish to attend the 65th Anniversary and FINAL commemorations of "D-DAY" and the Normandy Campaign. To commemorate 36,000 who died between the 5th June to the 20th August 1944. Since inception, the Assocation's Veteran members have funded 250+ focal points of commemoration around the globe to perpetuate our need to acknowledge the freedom we all enjoy today. They are immortalised by the code-named landing beaches of:'SWORD' 'JUNO''GOLD' 'OMAHA' and 'UTAH'. Many had previous combat experience of Dunkirk, the Middle East, Atlantic and Russian Convoys, Commando raids etc., They had their youth requisitioned without opportunity of romance, courtship or natural pleasures of freedom to face conflict and conflagration. With liberation of the Normandy region, hundreds were drafted to other theatres of war, returning home after 2,3,4 or 5 years. Perpetually they have upheld the Nation's promise that 'FALLEN' would not be forgotten.
Due to an obvious depletion in members and inevitable increase in loss of mobililty 'The Association' has scarce income and are unable to fund this FINAL pilgrimage. To date, 2,200 accomodations in Normandy have been reserved by both American and Canadian Veterans and family members. It is absolutely imperative therefore, that OUR Veterans have an opportunity to stand alongside their Allied comrades as they did in 1944. The average cost per Veteran is £350 for a five day/four night pilgrimage (fully inclusive). With enough modest donations from all ENGLAND fans, we can meet the entire costs.
Ladies/Gentlemen as a non veteran (born at the outbreakof war) I have the most distinct privilige to have been appointed as their HONORARY GENERAL SECRETARY. The elation would be immeasurable if this 'final salute' could be achieved.Thank you in anticipation.
Peter L. Hodge DMS (O.End)MCILT, CMIM, MasterMariner.
All donations should be made out to: 'THE NORMANDY VETERANSASSOCIATION' and forwarded to: The National Treasurer, Veteran George Batts,1, Chervilles, Barming, Nr Maidstone., KENT., ME16 9JE.
online payments can also be made to the Normandy Veterans Asscoiation at the following Bank Account
BANK: 'YORKSHIRE BANK LIMITED'
BANK ADDRESS: 10, CHURCH STREET, PETERBOROUGH., ENGLAND., PE1 1XB
ACCOUNT NAME: 'THE NORMANDY VETERANS ASSOCIATION'
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 64344811
SORT CODE: 05-06-37
IBAN NUMBER: ( For foreign deposits ) GB78YORK05063764344811.

#2 mikegoosey

mikegoosey

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Dear Phil, I have just picked up this thread regarding the Normandy Veterans association. My father is 86 years old this year and he has never returned to Normandy since 1944 - he landed at mid-day on June 6th with the 2nd Reg Lincolnshires. I am keen to take him back this year while he still is reasonably healthy. Can you point me in the right direction as to how I can arrange this.

Hoping you can help,

Mike Goosey

#3 idler

idler

GeneralList

• Registered Users
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Mike,

Can't help you much with the visiting arrangements but there is a very good account of part of 2 LINCOLN's war in the first post on this thread.

Andrew

#4 englandphil

englandphil

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Dear Phil, I have just picked up this thread regarding the Normandy Veterans association. My father is 86 years old this year and he has never returned to Normandy since 1944 - he landed at mid-day on June 6th with the 2nd Reg Lincolnshires. I am keen to take him back this year while he still is reasonably healthy. Can you point me in the right direction as to how I can arrange this.

Hoping you can help,

Mike Goosey

Mike, if your father has never yet taken advantage of it, The Hero's return funded by the lottery will pay for your father to return to Normandy,

Here is the link.

Heroes Return

#5 piaf

piaf

• Registered Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNormandy

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Also 'La Commune du Bessin' is offering financial assistance to Veterans wishing to return to Normandy to participate in this year's June 6th commemorations.
Gill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users