• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry Chester

Gerry Chester

WW2 Veteran

• Veterans
  • 869 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:20 PM

While searching for information about the reforming pf Pz.Abt 501 after its virual destruction in Tunisia, in which the North Irish Horse played a part, I came across this extraordinary site: http://battlefield.ru/
Two hours plus of exploring barely scratched the surface!
North Irish Horse
www.northirishhorse.net

#2 Gnomey

Gnomey

World Travelling Doctor?

• Registered Users
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

http://battlefield.ru is a great resource for WW2 Soviet material and information. I find it very useful I'm sure others will do to. Will add it to the list of sites in this thread

Attached Files

Posted Image
"Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so few"
Sir Winston Chuchill, Summer 1940

"To him the people of Britain and the free world owe largely the way of life they enjoy today"
Ensciption on Hugh Dowding's (AOC Fighter Command 1936-1940) Statue in London

Moderator: Aircraft of World War 2 Forum - A Warbird Forum

#3 Kiwiwriter

Kiwiwriter

Very Senior Member

• Registered Users
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:36 PM

Bookmarked it. Looks good.
"My intensity is intense." -- Roger Clemens

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." -- Winston Churchill.

"I am not a hero. The heroes are all dead. I am a survivor." -- Sgt. William Guarnere, Easy Company, 506th Parachute Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

Check out my little contributions to World War II history at my web pages:

World War II Plus 55

or

http://davidhlippman...illguarnere.com

#4 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Great Site!! Thanks for the link! :)

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#5 nolanbuc

nolanbuc

• Registered Users
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:29 AM

Interesting site! Thanks for the link!
(my avatar is Sgt. Bill R. "Buck" Buchanan, USMC Pacific Theater...or grandad to me)

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time."
- Lieutenant General Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC

World Sports Talk Forum

#6 GUMALANGI

GUMALANGI

• Registered Users
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

nice site,.
but seems some of the parts under construction

Ths
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Gerard

Gerard

Seelow/Prora

• Registered Users
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:38 PM

This site is well worth a look. Reading the sites refutations of the Books by Viktor Suvorov. They are right on the money. Jimbo, this is one guy that falls into the categories by which you judge Historians and would agree that he has very little credibility!!!

"The Eastern front is like a house of cards. If the front is broken through at one point all the rest will collapse."
- General Heinz Guderian

"There's no "i" in team, but there's four in Platitude Quoting Idiot" 

#8 Exxley

Exxley

• Registered Users
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

This site is well worth a look. Reading the sites refutations of the Books by Viktor Suvorov. They are right on the money. Jimbo, this is one guy that falls into the categories by which you judge Historians and would agree that he has very little credibility!!!

Even worse than Suvorov's Icebreaker is Hoffman's Stalin's war of Extermination. Well, not really surprising when one knows that Hoffman is an acquaintance of Denial "hero" Germar Rudolf :)

#9 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:54 AM

Viktor Suvorov is not a historian. VS is his nom de plume, his real name is Vladimir Rezun. He is a former GRU (Army Inteligence) low rank officer (captain) who defected in the late 70's. He wrote a number of more or less useful books based on his direct knowledge and experiences, such as Inside the Soviet Army, but with the end of the Cold War he "diversified" and wrote some controversial books presumably to keep the market alive. His most notorious is The Icebreaker, where he propounds a theory in which the Soviet Union intended to preempt Barbarossa on flimsy grounds. He has both supporters and opponents, to put it mildly, but the more wildly controversial the book the more it sells, which is what matters.:rolleyes:

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#10 jimbotosome

jimbotosome

Discharged

• Banned
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 12:03 AM

I never said historians were all bad. I just am of the opinion they are human and have the same biases and propensities to mix in opinion to the history they read themselves. I am against assigning de facto status to them merely because they published books.

#11 Exxley

Exxley

• Registered Users
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:12 AM

He has both supporters and opponents, to put it mildly, but the more wildly controversial the book the more it sells, which is what matters.:rolleyes:

Not surprisingly, neo-nazi sods and/or Nazi apologists are usually staunch supporters of Suvorov and Co.

#12 Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu

Supository of all wisdom

• Registered Users
  • 6,556 posts
  • LocationIn a hole, and digging :D

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:26 AM

I never said historians were all bad. I just am of the opinion they are human and have the same biases and propensities to mix in opinion to the history they read themselves. I am against assigning de facto status to them merely because they published books.

All right, J, there are good history books and bad ones too. Some bad history books I get fed up early and I set them aside and that author gets a black mark. However others do build up a good reputation over time and you can buy with confidence. In any case if there were no history books at all how could we be speaking of any history at all?

Quote from US Army field sanitation manual, 1850: "Dig the latrines downstream from the camp. The coffee tastes better."

#13 uaenrom

uaenrom

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:25 AM

Do you know what Russia's defense strategy was in WWII and how Hitler planned to beat it?

#14 lancesergeant

lancesergeant

• Registered Users
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

With respect to one and all, in my opinion as soon as the facts are mixed in with fiction, it is not history and if you don't what is fact or fiction it is not worth reading. If one is reading fiction and doesn't know it, it only serves to contradict/ blur one's own understanding of the subject at hand.

#15 lancesergeant

lancesergeant

• Registered Users
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

http://battlefield.ru is a great resource for WW2 Soviet material and information. I find it very useful I'm sure others will do to. Will add it to the list of sites in this thread

Gnomey is there a list of contributor's recommended sites and if so where abouts is it. Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users